Introduction to Data Compression
Author: Khalid Sayood
Each edition of Introduction to Data Compression has widely been considered the best introduction and reference text on the art and science of data compression, and the third edition continues in this tradition. Data compression techniques and technology are ever-evolving with new applications in image, speech, text, audio, and video. The third edition includes all the cutting edge updates the reader will need during the work day and in class.
Khalid Sayood provides an extensive introduction to the theory underlying today's compression techniques with detailed instruction for their applications using several examples to explain the concepts. Encompassing the entire field of data compression Introduction to Data Compression, includes lossless and lossy compression, Huffman coding, arithmetic coding, dictionary techniques, context based compression, scalar and vector quantization. Khalid Sayood provides a working knowledge of data compression, giving the reader the tools to develop a complete and concise compression package upon completion of his book.
* New content added on the topic of audio compression including a description of the mp3 algorithm
* New video coding standard and new facsimile standard explained
* Completely explains established and emerging standards in depth including JPEG 2000, JPEG-LS, MPEG-2, Group 3 and 4 faxes, JBIG 2, ADPCM, LPC, CELP, and MELP
* Source code provided via companion web site that gives readers the opportunity to build their own algorithms, choose and implement techniques in their own applications
Table of Contents:
|2||Mathematical preliminaries for lossless compression||13|
|7||Lossless image compression||163|
|8||Mathematical preliminaries for lossy coding||195|
|12||Mathematical preliminaries for transforms, subbands, and wavelets||355|
|17||Analysis/synthesis and analysis by synthesis schemes||537|
|A||Probability and random processes||615|
|B||A brief review of matrix concepts||631|
|C||The root lattices||637|
Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop
Author: Martin Evening
Professional commercial photographer and digital imager Jeff Schewe (based in Chicago, USA) has teamed up with best-selling Photoshop author Martin Evening to provide advanced Photoshop users with never before seen tips and techniques.
Building on Martin Evening's successful Adobe Photoshop for Photographers series of titles, this new guide takes Photoshop users to further depths exploring the power of Photoshop CS4. Highly visual, with clear, step-by-step tutorials, this advanced guide will appeal to those who want to take Photoshop beyond the boundaries.
* Become a Photoshop master with teaching from the dream team of professional photographers, Martin Evening and Jeff Schewe
* Unique, step-by-step tips and tricks will ensure your images stand above the rest
* Learn how to process your photos better using Camera Raw and Photoshop, plus the art of making great prints.